.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

azalea the black

a journey to the center of an under-achieving bad girl!

Friday, October 21, 2005

7. quoting scripture

If you really believe the story of Jesus as it reads in the New Testament, then you surely know that the first public miracle he performed was the turning of water into wine. They were at a wedding, for chrissake, a Jewish wedding of the highest social order, I assume, and they RAN OUT OF WINE!
Jesus was no goob. He knew when his help was needed. The son of God almighty (which i don't think he ever really claimed to be) has the power of heaven & earth at his command! We're at a WEDDING!! one of the happiest occasions there are! We must have WINE!!
He probably sort of sneaked over to the water-vats, kind of nonchalantly waved his ... will?...arm?... over them, then said something like, "Oh see here now, my friends, there are spirits enough here for the entire village! Mozeltov everyone!"

Of course, someone noticed (probably an alcoholic!) and started stalking him, and the rest is history.

So much of my life has been wasted in thinking about, talking about, praying about, the chemicals I do or do not put into my body. And whether it was phrased in religious terms (sin, satan, etc.) or in psychobabble (neuroses, co-dependency, etc.) or medical jargon (serotonin, estrogen, etc.), It's been drilled into my head and heart that there's something wrong with me because I enjoy drinking to celebrate, benzodiazepams to relax, nicotine to do whatever it is it does, weed to get ...high!.., and opiates when i'm hurting.
Jesus himself knew that to celebrate, it's a good thing to have a little bubbly. It's good to settle your spirits with a little magical potion from time to time. Paul even told Timothy, I believe it was, to have "a little wine for your... stomach," I think he said.

But the bible-belters are strict prohibitionists. You can't have champagne at a Southern Baptist wedding, or a Pentecostal wedding. They hang onto this dogma in direct violation of Jesus's own example.

If you want me to, I can reference the parts in the bible I'm talking about. I would have to look it up, though. I hate when people quote book & verse to me. How irritating. That's why I never learned to do it.

It's Friday night, so I'm actually having a little potion right now.
Jesus told me to.

peace,
happy weekend,
azb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home