.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

azalea the black

a journey to the center of an under-achieving bad girl!

Saturday, October 15, 2005

4. and i love her

It's August, 1978.
I'm 16, he's 28.
His hair is blindingly blonde in the mid-morning sun. We've already gotten caught and in trouble for dating, but I'm in love. I've never loved anybody like this. I'm not going to let go. He tried (a little bit) to run me off. Hell, he don't want to get SHOT or go to jail! At least I know he won't get me pregnant, like the boys most of my friends were dating seemed to be doing...
Sure I'm cute and all, but he likes me cause he knows I'm special. He knows there's more to me than cute and sexy. He teaches me Merle Haggard songs and I teach him that it's not to late to get another chance.
He had recently moved back to his hometown after a difficult divorce, and was working as a long-haul trucker, which was convenient, cause he was gone most of the time. He stayed with his elderly parents and that's where we always met up.
I'd come up with a reason to go to town when he was home, and I'd call, and damn! he ALWAYS wanted to see me! Even just to talk!
But we'd always kiss that kiss. And recently we'd even declared love for one another. Once you start saying "I love you" to someone, you gotta keep saying it.
So that morning, we talk for about ten minutes, then I say I better go; we kiss and say "I love you." and "I love you too."
I put mama's Grand Prix in reverse and back out of the short driveway into the street.
George is playing guitar and Paul is singing: "i give her all my love. that's all i do. and if you saw my love you'd love her too"
He's watching me; God only knows what he's thinking. His hair is so golden. He's grinning from ear to ear. He blows me a kiss. My entire being aches to stay with him for longer, longer. My eyes tear up and I pull back up beside him and roll down the passenger-side window.
"What is it sweet patootie?"
"I (choke)... I (choke)... really do love you."
HIS eyes tear up a little bit.
"Little girl, I really do love you too. Don't be sad. One day we'll always be together. Now go home and stay out of trouble!"
All the while Paul's singing "a love like our's could never die as long as i have you near me..."

Bright are the stars that shine, indeed.

We "secretly" dated throughout my senior year of high school, but he got sick and died from a rare, painful, and humiliating form of cancer. I think of him every day.

And that's what that song means to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home