.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

azalea the black

a journey to the center of an under-achieving bad girl!

Monday, December 19, 2005

Katrina, 9/11, New Orleans, & Birth Control

So I started this blog just after Katrina. Katrina was a turning point for me, just as 9/11 was.
Not because I was physically affected, but mentally, something changed.
9/11 was such a shock to me, as it apparently was for most Americans.
I've never even BEEN to New York, but we all love New York! We don't even know why!
As I watched the attack on the Twin Towers, LIVE! (I was getting ready to go to a dentist appt.) I thought "Damn mid-eastern terrorists!" and then the PENTAGON was attacked! and I thought, "Damn! Atlanta or New Orleans or any-damn-where could be next!" and "Holy Shit!! I got an 18-yr-old son who could be DRAFTED if times get worse!" and then: "Fuck! I'm married to this asshole "christian" who I can't even stand! I won't go out THIS way!"
So I assessed the situation, identified the things I could change, and took what actions I predicted would have positive outcomes (in the long run!)
I missed the dentist appointment that day.

Then Hurricane Katrina, 2005. O my God! Another shock & awe! I fucking LOVE New Orleans! It's so close to where I live, and I've been there many times. They say it's not safe to go there now, and I understand it will never be quite the same. I've never been to Mardi Gras, and really have no desire to. But I just like it there, specially in the fall. The whole area!
When Kanye West said "George Bush don't care bout tha black man" I thought the revolution Charlie Manson spoke of had begun! But, it didn't. In fact, I can't think of any part of my physical life directly affected by Katrina, other than the expected rise in gas prices. Please, as if we didn't see that coming!!
So I started reading a blog written by a guy trapped in an office building in downtown New Orleans, and it was the most REAL thing I'd seen or heard from that front. This guy's blog had been referenced by a few popular "bloggers" and suddenly, his blog was being hit like thousands of times a day! So he felt compelled, and encouraged to report on the basic survivalist-type things he & his workmates were going through. I read his blog at least twice a day, for about 10 days to see how they were getting along. It was enlightening, to put it mildly.
Anyway, I had some deep emotional stuff after the hurricane, (which we DID feel, right here where I am, I live DIRECTLY in her path, just much farther north!) and had to put it somewhere, so I started a blog.
So this blog has become my "where to put the shit I don't wanna think about anymore but worded in a such a way that I wouldn't be afraid of my sister or children finding it someday" journal.
If you catching me using this blog in any other way, call me out on it. Keep me in line.

Oh, and btw, the people in New Orleans who "We didn't even know existed" (I forgot who said that, if I have time I'll look it up tomorrow) there are 3 possible solutions: Birth Control, Birth Control, or Birth Control
I mean that from the bottom of my Heart,
azalea the black

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home